Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Joy of a Good Veggie Sandwich

I had a sandwich for lunch today that was... how can I describe it?  I mean, I'd show you a photo of it, but I bought it for lunch and had no idea it would be so delicious, I'd want to blog about it.  Next time I order one -- probably next week sometime -- I'll photograph it, and show you what you're missing. Instead, here's a photo of the 1880 Cafe by James, on the first floor of 1880 Century Park East, in Century City.  This is where the sandwich was made, anyway.

It was yummy.

I don't know why don't know why I'm going ga-ga over a sandwich. It is just a bunch of stuff roasted and packed between two slices of bread.   Okay, so it was a panini, which means that the bread was toasted to a nice light brown crisp. Yeah, alright, and the "stuff" that was slapped in the middle were roasted portobello mushrooms, roasted peppers, provolone, ripe tomato and pesto sauce.  And, if you're going to get completely picky and detail-oriented, the sandwich was served with yummy mixed greens and the house vinaigrette, which is nothing original, but is tasty nonetheless.

I think the panini took me by surprise because I truly never anticipated ordering it.  I've been on a self-destructive food path for a while now.  There's been an undercurrent of choosing food that is the most destructive and unhealthy that somehow has driven my food choices -- not all the time, but regularly enough that it has effected every aspect of my life.  I have wished to eat better, but I've been unable to apply that wish to my actual choices.

I started to listen to an audiobook two days ago called A Course in Weight Loss: 21 Spiritual Lessons for Surrendering Your Weight Forever, written and read by Marianne Williamson. This book has shaken my spiritual foundation to its core, but I'm not going to go into details at the moment. I've vowed that I am going to read this book and no other until I have full "grokked" it and absorbed it. Suffice it to say that, although I have miles and miles to go before I sleep, Williamson's message of healing the spiritual wounds that keep one fat is so deeply profound and applicable that with every lesson, I'm finding I'm making healthier and healthier options.

Hence the vegetarian panini and salad for lunch.  And the banana for dessert.

What? I didn't mention the banana? Sorry... I was blinded by grilled portobella mushrooms.

Food is for sustenance, enjoyment and nourishment. It is not to be used for sublimating feelings.

This is my lesson to be learned, so I can love food in a healthy way.

~C~

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...